Posted on Friday, October 22, 2021 12:36 PM
- Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs) are complex investment products that usually are invested for many years before the money can be used for a child’s post-secondary education. The scholarship trust plans that scholarship trust dealers offer are a type of RESP that requires investors to follow strict rules about how they contribute, the eligibility of their child, and how they can withdraw the funds. They do not operate like regular savings or investing accounts that grow over...
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2021 01:45 PM
If you invest through a do-it-yourself account at an order-execution-only (OEO) firm, you can pay significantly less in fees than you would to an advisor. But, as a do-it-yourself investor, you take full responsibility for your investments and you accept the financial risk of your investing decisions. If you are a DIY investor, always:
- inform yourself about the securities you purchase and stay informed about them, including when they go through unusual changes such as stock splits or consolidations.
Consumer responsible for unauthorized transactions after not taking enough care to protect his debit card and PIN
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2021 01:45 PM
- If you have a debit card, you have agreed to use it subject to the obligations in the cardholder agreement you made with your bank when the card was issued. Breaching these requirements can leave you responsible for any financial losses that occur.
- Cardholder agreements include a number of important obligations, including being careful to keep your card number, PIN (personal identification number) and bank passwords confidential at all times. If you have not protected your account or have...
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2020 10:00 AM
- Unfortunately, not all frauds are committed by strangers. “Familiar fraud” refers to situations where someone who has access to the personal information and financial documents of a family member or close friend assumes their identity to gain access to money in their accounts.
- Although banks have security measures to reduce the risk of fraud, consumers must keep their personal information such as security questions and PINs (personal identity numbers) confidential – even from those they...
Investors incur significant losses and seek compensation, believing themselves to be unsuitably invested in high-risk securities
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2020 09:30 AM
- Investment suitability is not determined on the basis of losses. Investment suitability is based on the risk profile of an investment at the time that advice about it was given.
- Every investment has the possibility of gains and the risk of loss, and the amount of each is usually closely matched. The advisor’s role is to recommend suitable investments, but they cannot predict the future nor guarantee results.
- Investors should monitor their investments and stay informed by reviewing their...